Although the opening of the Kenworthy Theatre as a public theater by Milburn Kenworthy took place in January of 1926, parts of the building were in use as an opera house as far back as 1908. Extending the theater southward by twenty feet in 1928 enlarged the brick structure. It was used for silent films with the placement of a screen in front of the stage and a projection booth at the back of the balcony. It was remodeled in 1949 with the addition of a new terra cotta tile façade and enlarged marquee. The Kenworthys gifted the theater to the community in 2000.