The town of Iona is located nine miles east of Idaho Falls. Originally called Sands Creek, it was settled in 1884 by Mormon pioneers who renamed it Iona after a small town in Israel. The town name means beautiful. The LDS Church built the building that is now the Iona Community Hall in 1929. It was used as a school building until it was converted by volunteers into a City Hall and community hall.