Built in 1946, the Evergreen Gables Motel was an example of the motor courts built along highway 20 running from coast to coast. The motor courts had many distinguishing features as seen here including a single building of connected rooms whose doors faced a protected common area, separate parking area, and large roadside signage. The large evergreen neon sign of the Evergreen Gables is a great example of this type of mid-20th century roadside architecture.
In 2008, the Idaho Falls Rescue Mission purchased the property to be rehabilitated into safe housing for women and children. The trust provided support to update the name on the sign while restoring and maintaining the historical integrity of the mid-century design.