The Fort Henry Historic Byway begins at North Rexberg Exit, then onto Salem Highway to the Sand Dunes on Red Road and on to A-2 Road to Junction. Then continue on A-2 north, then east to Island Park and Highway 20. Andrew Henry was a partner in the St. Louis Missouri Fur Company. The company obtained a government contract that helped with the initial exploration by agreeing to take a Mandan Chief back to his village on the Upper Missouri. From there, Major Henry and his party of six men decided to stay in the area. They crossed the Continental Divide and entered Idaho by way of Reynolds Pass. John Coulter had told him of a hidden valley for wintering that we know as Conant Creek in Fremont County. They established Camp Henry there first. With deep snow and scarce game they moved their camp to the south bank of the Snake River where Fort Henry was established. They left in the spring and were thought to enter Montana by way of Targhee Pass to reunite with Manuel Lisa. An Astorian group led by Wilson Price Hunt again used Fort Henry in the fall of 1811. They were looking for an overland/water route to the Columbia. The monument was constructed to mark the original site of Fort Henry by a Boy Scout troop in 1937 and was moved 200 feet to its present site in 1970 by another troop because of spring flooding.
Fort Henry Monument St. Anthony, Fremont County
Location: Parker-Salem Highway, Fort Henry Historic Byway, St. Anthony, Idaho