John O’Farrell was the first permanent white settler in Boise. His family cabin is the oldest building in the city and the site of the first Catholic services in Boise. It was used by the Catholics for services until 1870 and was a residence until 1872 when O’Farrell built the first of two houses on the same block. The cabin originally faced west on Fourth Street between Franklin and Fort Streets near the principal entrance to Fort Boise Military Reservation. In 1912 it was moved 200 feet to its present located. The O’Farrell Cabin is the oldest of three 1863 cabins which include the Coston and Pierce Cabins now located next to the Idaho State Historical Museum in Boise.