The Children’s Home Society of Idaho was founded in 1908 by Reverend O.P. Christian to care for orphaned, abandoned and neglected children in the state of Idaho. The building that housed the society was built in 1910 and continued as a home for children for 56 years. In 1966, new national legislation required the states to care for children in residential facilities or to place them out for adoption depending on their circumstances. Many orphanages across the nation closed at that time. The Children’s Home, however, transitioned from an orphanage to a treatment facility. The structure is in the National Register of Historic Places. The walls of the building are stone from the same quarry as that of the state capitol.